105. Naked old people in the locker room
They don’t mind letting it all hang out in front of everyone.
After all of my reasons for not going to the gym stopped working, I finally agreed to go to the gym with one of my college friends. I was given a three-day pass to test out the gym and decide if I wanted to become a member. Being my first time at a gym, I didn’t know how to “test out a gym”.. and everything just looked strange to me.
1. The machines looked intimidating. Every single on of them looked like it was meant to torture a specific part of your body, so why would people even wait in line to use them!?
2. Those dudes that hang out in front of the mirrors. This is the one reason why I hesitate to go to the gym.. those guys just look at themselves and check out (and yes, I mean check out) every guy that walks past them and at the same time estimate his body fat, weight, and fitness level.
3. Everyone looks extremely fit. I used to wonder why the people would go to the gym if they already looked awesome.. but then I realized that they looked great because they went to the gym. Oh and then I noticed that not everyone there was fit.
4. Old people walking around naked. It came as a huge shock to me.. In my generation, showers in the locker room were stalls, and no longer the huge shower room with a bunch of shower heads; this did not involve having to see each other naked.
..I walked into the locker room, and I saw some old guy blow drying his hair in the nude. I quickly walked over to my locker, only to see another naked dude blocking the way.
Hey, its no big deal, styling your hair in front of a mirror while being naked is allowed in the locker room (changing rooms) of gyms all over the United States. But few people actually do so anymore.. and those are the older crowd, along with a few younger ones that recently discovered how liberating it can be.
I got used to a lot of the things about the gym since my first time, but not those naked people.
Have any ideas? Shoot them to me via email, or to the new @AwkwardList Twitter page!