“Is my hair O.K.?”
Yes, it looks fine.
“YOU’RE JUST SAYING THAT! Do you think what I’m wearing is too much for the occasion?”
It looks great, very appropriate.
“Are you being sarcastic? Tell me!”
Why do people freak out when they have to meet their partner’s parents?
I mean, are there any reasons to be nervous about it?
Yes. 5 of them.
5. You might be overdressed or underdressed – Imagine showing up at a formal dinner party wearing jeans and a white T-shirt. Sure, you can keep the mentality that they “must accept you just the way you are” but c’mon, dude, there are social rules of awkwardness out there.
4. It might feel like an interview – They might ask you about your goals, your career, your past, your views on having children, and if they’re feeling conflict-y, politics.
3. Dealing with inside jokes – Families typically have their own inside jokes, and guess what? You’re not a part of that elite group ..yet. You might have to do a lot of fake laughing and end up trying very hard not to let that confused expression take over your face.
2. They might compare you to his or her partner’s exes – Can you imagine? Yes! It happens! “Oh honey, what was the name of that one girl you dated before this one? She had really nice hair.. what was her name?” What can I say? Some parents are just awkward.
1. You KNOW that they will be talking about you once you leave – Enough said about that one.
So next time that someone asks you why you are nervous about meeting your boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents, make sure you give them this list. But hey, there is no real way around it. Have you ever heard a person say “Oh don’t worry, I’m really good with parents”? Ha. Sometimes they’re just saying that.
But hey, even though things might turn out excellent for the night, please be aware that item number 1 on the above list will still apply. That’s awkward enough for me.